[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Jun 5 11:12:41 UTC 2006

Erik Zachte wrote:

>Responding a.o. to Jimmy's
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-June/007389.html
>
>* The idea that a contractor, possibly an outsider (?), is charged with
>paving the way for a true CEO, is yet another example of top down
>management. Why should an appointed individual, let alone a possible
>outsider, lead this debate, or manage it in any way? Incidentally, I would
>be less concerned if the final CEO would only supervise administrative
>tasks, like paying the bills and refreshing domain subscriptions, but then I
>find the term CEO odd, I call that an office manager.
>
>All of this gives me the feeling the board knows best what is good for the
>community, and is more and more leaning towards [p|m]aternalism, to put it
>mildly, more than it used to in its first year of existence. The number of
>people involved in the decision making structure is growing, with all those
>committees and chapters, yet the central role of the board and its do's and
>don'ts is what really matters.
>

>Erik Zachte

I hope that this isn't a serious proposal.  In almost every situation
that I've seen an outside CEO, particularly for successful organizations
(a bankrupt company might be an exception), the results have been simply
disasterous.  This includes both for-profit companies and non-profit
organizations.

The point is that by bringing in an outside CEO, they don't understand
the interal structure and culture of the organization, nor often even
the "industry" that the organization is working within.  Quite often
decisions are made by these CEOs that alienate huge sections of the
company or group because they are reacting as they would in the realm
they are much more familiar with.... and the rules simply don't apply in
this new situation they are facing.  I could give countless examples of
how this has been a failure for both Fortune 500 companies as well as
NGOs and even government agencies.  In addition, quite often CEOs that
are appointed in this manner from outside the group have a
hyper-inflated sense of self-importance, which is also one of the issues
that results in CEOs having hyper-inflated salaries as well--- a chronic
problem with many larger companies and even many non-profits.

It simply takes time to try and learn what the group or company is all
about, and in particular with an organization like Wikimedia projects
this is something that much more important, simply because of the huge
number of volunteers involved.  This issue doesn't necessarily apply to
professional staff that is promoted from within to become CEO, but that
is largly because they have taken the time to try to get to know what is
going on first and are already familiar with the organization culture.
 And people in that organization are already familiar with such an
appointment and know what to expect (for good or ill).  I would give the
same advise for the WMF as I would for the Boy Scouts or the Red Cross
in this case.

--
Robert Scott Horning