[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Gavin Chait gchait at gmx.net
Mon Jun 5 07:06:04 UTC 2006

Is there any formal, consistent method to consolidate, resolve and end any
particular discussion thread?

I am unable to see: 1) how we know how many people are participating in a
discussion; 2) when they've all had their say; 3) at what point a moderator
(and I'm assuming that this must be a board member at this point) is able to
say: this was the problem, these were the suggestions, this is the
resolution and this is how it will be implemented.

Without this every discussion is going to end leaving some  people feeling
they didn't get to say their piece.

I propose the following:

1) Create a new, dedicated tool for the proposition and discussion of ideas
and projects (everything is all jumbled up in this list)
2) Create a list of moderators who will be randomly assigned in strict
rotation to any approved new thread (like a judge)
3) Anyone can propose a new major discussion
4) Every proposal must receive two votes of agreement from accredited
members (how accredited, up to you)
5) A discussion has a week in which to resolve itself
6) Submissions must further the discussion and offer ideas for refining the
problem, solution, or implementation
7) The moderator has the task of ensuring the discussion remains on track
8) At the end of the discussion the moderator summarises the problem, the
suggested solutions and suggests a resolution - this is posted to this
discussion forum
9) If the moderator feels that no resolution has taken place then the
discussion is closed and the topic must be re-proposed
10) The proposal and solution are now up for voting
11) Voting takes place (and you'll need some form of voters roll so that you
know how many people are voting) within a strict time-frame

Complete discussion and voting result gets archived for purview.  Clearly
this system can only be used where you have two weeks to resolve a problem.
Critical problems are still going to have to be assigned and solved
unilaterally.

This proposal, which is not comprehensive (who gets the task of
implementation?) can just as easily be subjected to the review process I
describe.  That way we end these "I-said-You-said-Who-said-Why-said"
discussions.