[Foundation-l] Breaking promises (was Re: Where we are headed)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jun 5 04:09:56 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> This is an example of why I find the questions "Who voted for it?" and "Who
> voted against it?" immensely troubling. In a true democratic system, the
> secret  ballot allows people to vote their conscience, rather than voting for
> popularity, material reward, fear of censure, and whatnot.
That doesn't make any sense; the Board *represents* a community; it is
not itself a community engaging in pure democracy amongst its members.
The community can't very well figure out whether its interests are being
represented unless it's made public which members have been representing
which positions.  This is why in the "real world" the votes of
Parliaments and Congresses are made public.

-Mark