[Foundation-l] Wikimedia main office

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jun 4 17:22:43 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> As for Daniel Mayer being CFO, I think a large portion of what he does
> (at least, what I've seen him do) could easily (and rather
> inexpensively) be outsourced.  Sure, someone internal needs to decide
> on a budget to submit to the board for approval, but that shouldn't be
> an enormous time-waster.  I've seen it done effectively many times by
> volunteer committees with absolutely no finance or business
> background.

I think this seriously undervalues the contribution Mav has made in this
role.  His deep understanding of the projects, the community, the
financial needs, and his staying on top of the spending, etc., has been
of enormous value, and I do not think that it could have been easily
outsourced at all.

--Jimbo