[Foundation-l] Re : Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jun 4 17:05:22 UTC 2006

Traroth wrote:
> The Foundation has more and more work, so question is not if more
> people is to be involved. That's obvious. Question is if *the
> community* is to be more and more involved.

And the answer is: yes.

> Yeah ? Then just say where this important decisions are discussed,
> because I don't know, and I think i'm not the only one. Obviously not
> on this mailing-list...

Important decisions are discussed here on this mailing list, on the
wiki, in public irc meetings, in private emails (i.e. often people have
questions, and just email privately, and get a private answer).

Could communications be improved?  Yes, of course, but this is something
we have all known for a long time.  I believe that the core problem is
not a lack of information flow, but excessive flow of raw information
which makes it hard for anyone to keep up with it all.

>> I think you have completely failed to comprehend the seriousness of
>> the issues facing the business side of the foundation.  It is *not*
>> just about paying the bills and refreshing domain subscriptions.
>> We are growing inevitably into a major enterprise with a
>> multi-million dollar annual budget.  There is no way around that,
>> other than simply refusing to grow and letting the site run slow
>> because we don't have the servers.
> (...)
>
> Yeah, but that's some years ahead. For the moment, it's not the case,
> so each thing in its time. Lucky enough you don't let build some
> skyscraper, because some day, it could be necessary as a headquarter.

That is *not* "some years ahead"... it is *today*.

--Jimbo