[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Jun 3 23:50:28 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> So, Wikimedia is shaped by people who feel that the very philosophy
> that made WP a success is not applicable to organizations.

And Erik wonders why I felt that he misrepresented my views in that meeting.

The main beef that I had with Erik in that log was that he represented
to the people there, that I felt that we should not recruit for the
executive director position from within the community.  That was
shocking to me, because I am strongly committed to our deep community
roots and deep community focus.

I think a lot of people feel that the foundation is opaque because they
choose to not get involve, choose not to attend meetings, choose not to
create or get involved in the delegation of responsibilities from the
board into the community and chapters.  I understand why people don't
want to get involved, but it is really an insult to the dozens of people
who are getting involved, from the community, as volunteers, to suggest
that somehow they are not really the community.

If there are specific areas where you think the foundation could be more
transparent, tell me.  Seriously.  Tell me, and I will act, because I
think that transparency and community are absolutely the very philosophy
that made Wikipedia a success, and I will say to anyone who is opposed
to those things that they will not succeed in changing my mind.

--Jimbo