[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jun 3 23:15:35 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/4/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>
> > Is there an archive somewhere of all the historical board votes?  I'd
> > be interested in seeing it.
> >
> > Overall, it's really hard to find information about what it is the
> > board and its members have been doing.
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolutions
>
> Watching that wiki, and reading Wikizine ( http://cur.wikizine.org/ )
> are two good ways of keeping up with the Board's actions. Suggestions
> on how to improve communications are very welcome.
>
> Angela

I'm trying to think of a major thing that I can suggest, rather than
nitpicking minor details.  Overall, wikimediafoundation.org is very
outdated.  Even just looking at the front page the quarterly reports
contain nothing from the current year (5 months into it), the projects
section starts with a red link, the second feature talks about the
Quarto which is a project which was abandoned over a year ago.

One of the higher pageranked pages is
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Meetings, which contains no
information about meetings in 2006.  One of the meetings I stubled
across, http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Meetings/October_22%2C_2004,
talks about changing membership from opt-out to opt-in.  This doesn't
seem to have been implemented, and I'm not actually sure whether or
not I'm even a member.  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws
points to http://wikimediafoundation.org/bylaws.pdf, which seems to be
the original bylaws from 2003 (which have apparently changed).
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws is
another version, which seems to have been updated, but it doesn't seem
to have taken all resolutions into account (besides the opt-in/opt-out
one, I remember reading from you or Ant that the notion of "Member
Representative to the Board of Trustees" had been dropped).
(Interestingly, http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/About_Wikimedia
points to *both* versions.)

Anyway, thanks for the links.  I guess my "suggestions" were somewhat
nitpicky.  But I do think it's pretty important that people know a)
whether or not they're actually a member of Wikimedia and b) what the
bylaws of the foundation are.

Anthony