[Foundation-l] Site notices, bots, fundraising, etc.

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 22:39:42 UTC 2006

The Communications committee is working on coordinating the use of
sitewide notices for Wikimedia projects. This is needed for the upcoming
fundraiser, as well as other potential announcements relevant to all
projects, such as Wikimania or technical issues like single login.

It's anticipated that we will use a bot to help update these messages,
which due to the nature of the pages being edited will need to have
universal sysop privileges. Rest assured that we won't be using it for
other sysop functions. Naturally, with all of these messages we will
need help with translation, ideally before they are distributed but also
after if necessary. Please let your projects know in case they have any
questions.

Incidentally, I know the idea of a Fundraising committee is still just
getting off the ground, but could we get an idea of when we would have a
fundraiser, and for how long? In order for the site notices to be
effective, we have to maintain some downtime between uses, and we need
to be able to plan the other uses as much as possible.

--Michael Snow
Chair, Wikimedia Communications Committee