[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 15:28:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Gavin Chait wrote:

> equivalent to not appointing an *interim* CEO / COO / Director.  The core
> problem: "We don't know what to do next and we need help deciding what to
> do," won't have been solved and can't be solved until the board and
> community decide.

Right.  Discussions about goals and priorities, and group introspection on
the past and present, need to happen.  Nothing will substitute for that.

> fund-raised, written proposals, developed ideas and implemented them.  Some
> of my ideas even work.
>
> I'm probably not the only person with this sort of experience on this list
> but I do have some idea of what it takes to run a self-sustaining non-profit
> social benefit organisation.

I like the ideas and examples you've shared, though some may be less
relevant to WMF than to other s-s n-p sbo's ... Wikipedia is an unusually
self-defining, scaled, and vibrant project, and traditional rules of thumb
each deserve a second look to see how they might apply.

IIRC, there are a number of people with relevant experience on this list.
I hope many more of them will chime in.

SJ