[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Gavin Chait gchait at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 08:08:06 UTC 2006

Being a volunteer is a little like being a super hero.  The world is always
in trouble and everyone is happy to have the superhero round to save the
day.  If Superman charged US$ 1 million / hour we'd certainly use him more
appropriately than to rescue Fluffy from a tree or continually stop bank
robbers.  He could invade Iraq on his own, for instance.

Volunteers are thought to be always available.  Who cares what their main
skills are or what else they may be doing.  Heaven forbid they should get
tired and need a vacation - hurry back soon.

WMF has gotten big.  Very quickly.  An organisation that could be easily
understood and navigated by a few volunteers now needs a lot more effort.

I'm sure developing the job description for the CEO was a useful exercise.
The CEO is the Chief Executive Officer.  I stress this.  They are there to
execute tasks.  A large number of the objectives and responsibilities listed
by the board are left very vague:  "as defined by the board of directors",
"consistent with board-approved policies".

It is no good starting with a CEO and then figuring out who needs to be
hired next and what they're going to be doing.  It's as bad as hiring an
office with no idea of who needs to be there.

Imagine going on a road trip with no map, no idea of where you are, and then
giving the job of steering to a CEO who has to take directions from the
committee in the back seat who never declare where they want to go for fear
of hurting people who want to go somewhere else.

I reiterate:  first develop the system you wish to see in its entirety;
list all the tasks, responsibilities and line functions as they relate to
each other and along with their dependencies; group related tasks together
as single areas of responsibility; decide on the tools necessary to support
these functions ... and so on.

Once this is in place then it is easier to hire people and easier for them
to know what they do on Day 1, and thereafter.

The newly hired professionals may still not know where WMF is going, but at
least they can keep everything running in tip-top condition until a way
forward is presented.