[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 12:22:03 UTC 2006

Cormac Lawler wrote:
> On 6/1/06, Erik Zachte <erikzachte at infodisiac.com> wrote:
>
>>Anthere:
>>

>>>There is something hugely upsetting in the comments I read in this thread.
>>>It is seeing people complain things are not publicly discussed...
>>>but who do not even comments when the issues are raised publicly.
>>>It is seeing people complain things are not done...
>>>but they do not do things themselves.
>>>It is seeing people complain we do not welcome their help...
>>>but they say no when we ask them.
>>
>>Anthere, it is difficult to argue against generalisations. Several people
>>who argued in this thread are doing a lot,
>>be it in Mediawiki activities that do not fall under the jurisdiction of the
>>board or any subcommittee. Do you accept critical remarks only from people
>>that you work with every day?
>>
>>Clearly all comments in this thread are here because an issue was indeed
>>raised publicly, namely about Mediawiki core values.
>>I for one consider it good taste not to reply on a thread unless I feel I
>>have something new to contribute and feel strongly about the issue.
>>So from me no 'yes, I think so too' replies. Actually I only send part of
>>the replies that I write and occasionaly only after several revisions and
>>more thought. Hopelessly out of touch with the IRC generation.
>>
>>If people are overdemanding here and plainly work-shy everywhere else please
>>be specific.
>>
>>Even then, it is one of the preconditions for a non-autocratic system that
>>people in a position of power answer to the public at large regardless of
>>what specific members of the public are doing themselves, at least those
>>members read posts and ask questions and show they are involved to a certain
>>degree.
>>
>>In the outside world, in established political systems of any kind, power
>>corrupts almost without exception. Lip service is paid to a free press until
>>one has to deal with those 'press mosquitos' oneself, those people who
>>'always whine' and 'should start to do somethings themselves for the country
>>instead of scandalizing good people' etc etc. Clearly we do things
>>differently here and need not worry, or do we?
>>
>>If your answer to people who ask critical questions is to discredit them, I
>>start to worry even more that Wikimedia has come close to the outside world.
>>
>>Please let us not get personal. I respect your work for Mediawiki a lot.
>>Please assume good faith of others.
>>
>>Erik Zachte
>>

> Erik, you do fantastic work on gathering the stats on Wikipedia
> project activity [1] - and that's the kind of work that needs to be
> consolidated within the organisational level. The board need stats (I
> hear), and one of the remits of the Special Projects Committee is to
> coordinate these efforts [2] - along with the pretty inactive
> Wikimedia Research Network [3]. Maybe you should be recognised better
> for this work, and work with the SPC in this regard (?).

I suggested Eric to join when we made the original group. At that time,
the group thought it would be best to limit us at 9, which imposed
limitations. I would be happy to have Eric with us, if he is available
enough.

> I didn't mean to include you in my previous statement (on another
> thread) that "people who are complaining aren't bothering to get
> involved". In fact, that's unfair in many cases - of course there are
> plenty of people who do great work who raise good and valid
> criticisms, which we need to address in order to grow and learn as an
> organisation. If you remember, we had a discussion like this on this
> list after last year's Wikimania, around the time of Erik Moeller's
> resignation as chief research officer.
>
> But I still think Anthere has a point, and I understand her
> frustration (which, hopefully, as a result of this discussion, is
> being addressed). She's one of these people who *are* the Wikimedia
> Foundation - living it, breathing it. I should probably let her speak
> for herself, but I myself feel that, with Anthere around, the
> foundation is in *very* good hands.
>
> Cormac
>
> [1] http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/Sitemap.htm
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special_projects_committee
> [3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research_Network

Thanks for your support Cormac. Yes, admittedly, I sometimes get very
frustrated. I am sorry about that. I also apology to my rude tone to
Birgitte. She did not deserve to be the recipiendary of my frustration.

ant