[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 21:30:24 UTC 2006

> "I have never seen the WMF foundation asking the
> communities
>   for anything besides money and trust.  I believe
> the
>   communities have much more to offer. "
>

> You probably have limited memory. I remember
> explicitely calling loudly
> for help for many topics and various skills.
> Hell, I remember distinctly I called *you* Birgitte
> to help for setting
> up decent rules for new languages creation. Hardly a
> month ago. On this
>   list. After I asked you help, you basically
> answered "errr, not now.
> Sorry ".

Yes you did.  I was more thinking of asking across
projects not just asking people who already are in
contact with the mailing list.  A site-wide note
similar to fundraising, but a call for volunteers.
With a page asking for people with specific skills
sets or experience.  To bring in people who have not
already sought out the Foundation themselves

> I also remember distinctly I called for help many
> times for Quarto. We
> got a certain amount of help, but not sufficient to
> handle things. So,
> Quarto was closed. It was closed because, *YOU* the
> community, failed to
> answer calls for help.
>

> In the past month, I have taking care of answering
> all the questions on
> OTRS which were business related. Most of them, I
> can not answer alone.
> I need help. I need help to answer stuff about
> mobile phone. I need help
> to answer proposal related to trademarks use ...
>
> We received a proposition from a big firm that I
> will not cite here.
> This was a little bit discussed amongst the
> community volunteers
> lawyers. For the past three weeks, I have been
> asking for a contract for
> that deal. I got none. None, none, none. It is not
> exactly as if I asked
> not for help. I did, but got nothing. (And this is
> why we need
> hiring.... believe me, if someone were writing these
> contracts on a
> volunteer basis, we would not need to hire people).
>
> So, claiming that the Foundation never asked more to
> the community than
> money and trust is worse that *false*. That's an
> *insult*.
>
> There is something hugely upsetting in the comments
> I read in this
> thread. It is seeing people complain things are not
> publicly
> discussed... but who do not even comments when the
> issues are raised
> publicly. It is seeing people complain things are
> not done... but they
> do not do things themselves. It is seeing people
> complain we do not
> welcome their help... but they say no when we ask
> them.
>
> I am not gonna blame you because you refuse to help
> me on something.
> That's fine. You're a volunteer. But do not try to
> pretend we do not ask
> for help please. That's dishonnest.
>

> Ant

I am very sorry my email upset you.  I do not mean to
imply in any way that I felt my help was unwelcome, or
that my help was not asked for.  I was really not
talking about me or any one who's name you might
recognize from this list.  I meant a direct appeal to
all the people out there who do not know what the
Foundation is doing much less what it needs doing.  I
meant recruiting from the untapped reasource of people
who use thes projects.  Recruiting.  Not asking people
who have already show interest.

I am do not mean this to be taken so critically.
Trully it is impressive what so few people have
accomplished here.   And also did not mean that I
thought no one should be hired.  Just that hiring
professionals is not a panacea.  It will take a very
special sort of professional to work in this
enviroment.  I really want to see a middle ground.  I
am not against things being closed either.  It is just
a matter of degrees.

Birgitte SB