[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 12:54:19 UTC 2006

--- GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> You assume that people get to know the Wikimedia
> Foundation through
> Wikipedia.

I do not assume this, it just seems to be most often
the case to me.  *I* certainly did not come to this
list from Wikipedia.

A common assumption but it is wrong in
> that the Wikimedia
> Foundation is there not only for Wikipedia but also
> for Wikipedia.
>
> There are other project and when people consider
> things it is most
> often seen in the light of what is good for
> Wikipedia must be good for
> the rest. Well, suprise that is a fallacy.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

I think you misunderstand me.  I was trying to speak
in general terms, but of course I see this problem
every day.  For example a simple bug request is put in
by a Wikisource editor.  This causes many WP editors
to reply saying, "Don't implement this.  WP articles
should never use anything like this, so it should not
be available."  There is little concern shown that
such a thing may be appropriate at a different
project.  I agree with you that this attitude "of what
is good for Wikipedia must be good for the rest" is
problamatic.  This is one reason I am advocating an
active recruitment of people from smaller langs and of
course other projects.  I am sorry I was not clear
before.

Birgitte SB