[Foundation-l] Requests to use the foundations' trademarks/logos.

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 15:13:34 UTC 2006

On 14/07/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/14/06, Jack <jackdt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The USA Library of Congress has requested permission to include
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict> in their collection of
> > Internet material concerning the crisis in Darfur.
> >
> > They wish to
> > 1. archive the page at regular intervals, and
> > 2. publish it on their publicly accessible web site.
> >
> > They completely reproduce pages for archival purposes: capturing all
> > identifying site documentation, including URL, trademark, copyright
> > statement, ownership, publication date
> > <http://www.loc.gov/webcapture/faq.html>; so the GFDL requirements are
> > met, but what about the trademark/logo? Who needs to give permission
> > or refuse?
> >
> > WikiMedia OTRS ticket: 2006071110012086
> > LC Reference: Darfur 88979 CD
>
> I remember a similar request from 2004 during the Tsunami (okay, the
> actual request should have been from january-february 2005) from the
> US LOC for a collection about this.  Maybe someone is able to find the
> ticket and how we reacted to this. As far as I am concerned, their
> request is fine and I consider it a shame that libraries are requested
> to ask for this to preserve the cultural heritage, no matter if it is
> on dead trees or on a DVD.

It's the major problem with web archiving - if you get 10% response
you're lucky. Most have grudgingly accepted they have to go with
"archive on spec" and take down afterwards if there's a complaint. I
strongly, strongly suggest we figure out a way to have a blanket
permissions policy for this sort of thing; it's exactly what we want
to encourage, though there's generally less need to archive us than
with most people...

Whilst I remember, the rather cunning trick developed to get around
permissions (at least for the biggest web archivers, the
national-level people), is to quietly redefine legal deposit, so that
the deposit libraries have the right to make and store copies of any
material published to the web in their jurisdiction. Defining
"jurisdiction" is fun, of course, but they seem to have knocked
something together; France is working on theirs, the UK has passed the
enabling legislation but hasn't put it into force yet, and I think
Denmark's got it up and running.

(I was lucky enough to attend a one-day conference on internet
archiving - it was a bit accidental, we hadn't quite realised it was
directed at the big players - which was remarkably interesting. It's
going to be a fun field to watch)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk