[Foundation-l] MediaWiki 1.7.1 and Wikipedia

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Jul 11 18:17:02 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Delirium wrote:
>

>>I was speaking of the use of unreleased versions of MediaWiki and
>>complex/undocumented extension setups (which extensions *are* enabled on
>>Wikipedia anyway?  I know LaTeX and Cite are; is that all?).  PHP 5 is
>>fine of course.
>>

>Here are the extensions that affect content rendering currently in use:
>
>Cite/Cite.php
>ParserFunctions/ParserFunctions.php
>
>A few wikis also have:
>intersection/DynamicPageList.php
>
>Additionally enabled and used in the edittools but not generally in content:
>CharInsert/CharInsert.php
>
>Math and SVG rendering are also in use on Wikipedia, so should be enabled if
>taking our current content straight.
>
>$wgLegalTitleChars should have "+" appended to it for compatibility. This will
>most likely be added to the default in the next revision, unless I forget about
>it again.
>
>You can find a fuller list of extensions at Special:Version.
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Brion,

I downloaded 1.6.8 last night and the SVG rendering was still broken.  I
can hack the script and get it working, but I would rather wait for
you to post a 1.6.9 release.  Also, the HTML tidy suggestion is not an
option -- we should fix our bugs rather than use an external program
to cleanup the mess left by the bugs :-).

I got 1.7 installed, however, the page rendering is still trashed.
Would you like an account on wikigadugi.org to poke around in my database
and MediaWiki setup to see if there's a problem there or for some
insights?   I am open to giving you one to help me determine how best to
solve the issues of "as is" XMl dumps so other folks supporting
Wikimedia won't encounter this problem again.

Jeff