[Foundation-l] Re: Logo use

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 00:58:33 UTC 2006

Sam Korn wrote:
> On the subject of the recent introduction of Wikimedia's visual
> identity guidelines [1], I came across several images (one of which I
> apparently created myself, though I don't remember doing so) which
> contravene these guidelines.  Angela has made a list of these on Meta
> [2].  Most of these don't seem to be intrinsically harmful to the
> Foundation's copyright or give the impression that the Foundation
> endorses any concept or group that it in fact does not.
>
> However, there are some images that do concern me.  There are two
> images created by Cool Cat [3] for a group named the "Counter
> Vandalism Unit" [4], a group that aims to facilitate and improve
> vandal fighting.  The images are logos for the group.  One [5]
> incorporates the WMF logo, the other [6] the Wikipedia logo.
>
> Cool Cat was given provisional permission by Anthere to use these
> images before the above guidelines were created. [7]

Correction please.

I did not give any permission at all for use of that logo.

On my talk page, I answered : [1]

Hmmm, an immediate question comes to my mind... where will this bot be
active ? Likely on the english wikipedia, or possibly on other
wikipedias ? If so, why using the wikimedia foundation logo and not the
wikipedia one ? There is no reason to use the foundation logo as the
foundation is not involved in this bot activity. I fear it could be
perceived wrongly. I myself see no specific problem in having the bot
with the wikipedia logo... but since it will appear as a community bot,
I think you must get approval from the wikipedia community to use it.
The only question left is "where will this bot be active ?" Ant

-------

Later, there was a bit of a conflict on the issue and I was asked to
confirm I gave permission. If I remember well, I confirmed I did not
give it.

I did not change my mind since then.

-------

Months later, I still think this logo is a bad idea, because it gives
the impression the Foundation is supporting the Counter Vandalism Unit.
The Foundation supports is entirely irrelevant here. Fighting vandalism
is a community issue.

Just a few days ago, a similar logo appeared on the french wikipedia and
I must confess, I did a speedy deletion... (on the grounds it received
no authorization... a bit borderline :-))

-------

The current guidelines are for the way the logo could appear, not for
its internal uses. I think the change you are suggesting would fit in
another definition of its use.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthere#Couter_Vandalism_Unit

Ant