[Foundation-l] Fate of "Simple English"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Feb 26 05:34:19 UTC 2006

Alison Wheeler wrote:

>I've often thought that the 'simple English' was the right product aimed
>at the wrong market.
>
>Instead of targetting it at people how have English as a second language
>(who, quite rightly, want to learn English "properly"; long words and all)
>why not consider it as targetted at that other group who *need* simple
>English ...
>
>Children.
>
>Simple English is, I would have thought, perfect for pre-schoolers and
>under-12s generally as it sets out to explain concepts in simpler language
>and as that means a reduced vocabulary then let us target it at those who
>already daily use that reduced vocabulary.

Pre-schoolers  are not the right target for this.  They build their
essential vocabulary through conversation, and not through staring at a
computer screen.  Subject matter also needs to conform to children's
views of what is important in their world.

ESL people or others with reading problems are much better targeted.
The subject areas can be more advanced, but they must be put in simpler
language.  Before they get into reading the long words, they need to
master the short ones.

Ec