[Foundation-l] Fate of "Simple English"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 23 07:58:49 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Will someone explain what we have these "Simple English" sites for?
>
>It's recently come to my attention that there's a simple.wiktionary.org as well
>(probably created by accident when Wiktionaries were bulk-created) and
>somebody's been editing it and is now requesting a custom logo.
>
>In the four years or so I've been here, nobody's *ever* had a clear picture of
>what the "Simple English" Wikipedia was meant for: who it's targetted at, what
>kind of "simple" is meant, what's appropriate or not appropriate.
>
>Having a Wiktionary too looks completely useless IMHO. It's bad enough that it's
>an unstructured wiki for a dictionary, but without knowing its purpose? Bah.
>
>What are we doing with these? What are they here for? Who are they here for? Do
>we actually want to keep them?

While I don't use them myself because I am addicted to big words.  I
find that these projects have some value for those with a limited
knowledge of the English.

The simple Wiktionary was indeed started when the bulk creation
occurred.  It did not receive much attention for a long time, but I'm
glad to see that some people have finally taken an interest.  I have no
opinion on their logo request.  I would simply let the people interested
in them carry on.

I don't find an unstructured wiki for a dictionary to be very much of a
problem.

Ec