[Foundation-l] Fate of "Simple English"

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Feb 22 19:54:48 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:

>In the four years or so I've been here, nobody's *ever* had a clear picture of
>what the "Simple English" Wikipedia was meant for: who it's targetted at, what
>kind of "simple" is meant, what's appropriate or not appropriate.

I can see the point of the Simple English Wikipedia, but IMO it's not
likely to attract enough attention to be useful.

The argument is that since so much of the world turns to English as a
second language for information, it would be useful to have an English
Wikipedia written in simple, easy-to-understand English, but at the same
time we don't want to banish the use of "big words" from the normal
English Wikipedia and require it to be written in some sort of
lowest-common-denominator English, so instead create a separate
Wikipedia explicitly for that purpose.

A good idea in theory, but the problem is that very few people seem to
want to work on such a thing.  Even people who speak English relatively
poorly as a second language seem (based on current evidence) to prefer
to struggle through editing the "real English Wikipedia" than to
contribute to the simple-English one.

-Mark