[Foundation-l] Re: File format policy

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:47:11 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> That's not even remotely close to the case here, though.  We're not
> talking about having content *only* in patent-encumbered formats, but in
> offering a user the option to receive it in a patent-encumbered formats
> while also having it available in a non-encumbered format as the
> preferred format.
>
> That is more analogous to taking some content, putting one copy of it up
> freely on the internet, and the other copy in a safe.  The fact that you
> have a copy in a safe does not make the copy on the internet less free.

Lets not get too carried away with the metaphors... We're not talking
about putting it away where it will not effect the outside world.

Would you support the foundation distributing a DRM inhibited copy of
Wikipedia so long as there was a free copy available somewhere?

If we were to permit encumbered formats what would ensure that there
was always a non-encumbered version available if the content was not
lost entirely?