[Foundation-l] Re: File format policy

Ilya Haykinson haykinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 02:27:47 UTC 2006

> I also see the assertion made multiple times that the number of users
> who can view this content is greatly diminished... but I've yet to see
> this substantiated with data.  If you count users who must install a
> codec as unable, then you must also realize that the proposed
> alternative proprietary formats are also not installed by default on a
> great many (a majority?) of computers.

My overall point is that our mission contains the need to maintain
content in an open format, so that the knowledge we accumulate is
accessible in the present and future to those unable or unwilling to
pay for this collection of knowledge, and to not be beholden to the
whims of patentholders.

However, the most important mission is to provide content.  Despite
your suggestion otherwise, I hold that the 98% of the web browsers
that have flash, and the 80%+ people who run Windows, are actually
somewhat likely to view a video whereas the (definitely more than) 90%
of the people who have computers with no Theora codec are not.

In keeping with our primary mission to provide the knowledge, I think
we need to be flexible and accepting of a compromise of accumulating
knowledge in an open format but providing it in such ways as are
actually likely to be useful to people, now.

-ilya