[Foundation-l] Fundraising idea

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Feb 11 13:35:16 UTC 2006

If I could travel back in time, the Million Dollar Homepage is one idea
I would immediately implement. :-) Unfortunately, I think it really only
works once to full effect. Certainly, this type of advertising does have
advantages over more traditional forms, the relative permanence of the
ads being one of them. But there are good reasons why most people who
have traffic-heavy sites wouldn't accept permanent ads for a one-time
fee. It worked for the original Million Dollar Homepage because it had
no content except for the ad itself, which had novelty value and
attracted much media hype.

Good luck in generating hype for this -- it seems unlikely that the
Foundation would directly promote it, given the associated community
risks (check out the Answers.com controversy), the fact that it's
separately controlled, and the relative uncertainty of revenue compared
to more traditional forms of advertising. Perhaps you'll find an
interesting spin, such as 250 (and up to 500K total) free pixels for
open source or free content projects. That could fill the canvas a bit
and provide an incentive for others to invest, given that it'll also
generate pageviews.

Erik