[Foundation-l] Advertisement

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Dec 31 14:49:33 UTC 2006

On 12/31/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 31/12/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > > No, I'm fairly certain that the Gates Foundation *doesn't* donate
> > > Windows licenses.  And the fact that I haven't gotten that citation I
> > > requested makes me think David Gerard just made that assertion up.
> >

> > http://www.counterpunch.org/rajiva10272005.html
> >
> http://www.slis.indiana.edu/news/story.php?story_id=324
>
> Started in 1997, the Library Program was Bill and Melinda Gates' first
> major philanthropic venture. Since that time the program has made
> grants to more than 5,800 libraries in the United States, installed
> more than 25,000 PCs and trained 7,000 librarians. It is anticipated
> that by the end of 2003, 10,000 libraries in 50 states will have
> benefited from the $200 million total investment from the foundation.
>
> This year, it's Indiana's turn to benefit.
>
> The Gates Foundation plans to spend $5.8 million equipping 185 public
> library buildings in Indiana with computer hardware, software, and
> training. Installation and training across Indiana will be scheduled
> over the next year and provided by the six SLIS interns. An additional
> 201 buildings--eligible for partial grants--will receive free software
> and training from the Foundation by purchasing their computers.

http://www.olis.ri.gov/grants/gates/pac/initdescrip.php

Interesting...  They're donating computers pre-loaded with Windows and
providing technical support and training.  Would they still donate the
computers if the library told them they intended to install Linux on
them?  Maybe.  But would they still provide the free technical support
and training for those libraries?  Somehow I doubt it (although it
would be really cool if they did).

I'll admit it.  I was wrong when I said that the Gates Foundation
doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft.  The Foundation is
actually more slimy than I had realized.

I do still think it's inaccurate to say that the Gates Foundation
donates Windows licenses.  What they do is much more subtle than that.
 The software is actually donated by Microsoft.  From that same link
you provided:

"Part of a nation-wide program to help bridge the ' digital divide,'
known as the gap between those who have access to the power of
technology and the Internet and those who don't, the Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation, along with ***donated software from Microsoft
Corporation***, is about to have a state-wide impact on Indiana
libraries in qualifying low-income communities." [emphasis mine]

Anyway, point taken.  The Gates Foundation is probably worse than Virgin Unite.

Anthony