[Foundation-l] Advertisement

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Dec 31 12:46:58 UTC 2006

> Anthony wrote:

> >>And that they tend to donate, uh, Windows licenses.
> >>

> >They do?  {{citation_needed}}
> >
> There is a certain logic to it.  It's a very inexpensive donation for
> them.  Think of the optics of having a Bill and Melinda Gates sponsored
> site being powered by Linux. :-)

It would make a lot more sense for Microsoft to donate the Windows
licenses directly, which I assume is what actually happens.  If the
Gates Foundation donated the licenses, how would they obtain them?
Buy them from Microsoft?  That would involve a huge and insanely
illegal conflict of interest transaction.

No, I'm fairly certain that the Gates Foundation *doesn't* donate
Windows licenses.  And the fact that I haven't gotten that citation I
requested makes me think David Gerard just made that assertion up.

Anthony