[Foundation-l] foundation-wikipedia-search-project (was: wiki search & wikimedia foundation collaboration with Limewire and Yacy ?

"Thomas Müller" thomasasta at gmx.net
Sat Dec 30 18:54:12 UTC 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:14:44 +0100
Von: Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>

> it may be that in the future the Foudnation supports such a project.
>
> I have no problem with you discussing this here, but please do realise
> that until 48 hours ago, none of us had ever heard of this project. We
> just discovered it through the press and are unrelated to it.
>
> Best regards
>
> Ant

Hi Ant, that´s it. We need an initial discussion that the wikipedia/wikimedia foundation needs an open source search engine.

We should take time to discuss the need and the options brought by your idea for such a project. Keep wikia what it want to be. Let´s foundraise an own new open source search engine.

and I suggest to base upon http://yacy.net - the p2p webindex-search.

If then wikia chooses as well this idea, we can later collaborate as well.
If Jimmy chooses the central engine "nutch", then we have our own.

So this is about to bring out the idea to the foundations in each country here on the list, and to start a thread about it on this list.

48 hours or one hours you bring up the idea here, and before the decisions here really start, we should discuss the option, to have in each wikipedia country a search field box, to search as well in the web with yacy.

Users can install the firefox toolbar, see here how it works:

http://www.yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index.php/De:YaCyBar

It would be wrong that the foundation goes to the press and says, we have nothing to do with it, we could use the hype to work out an own concept.
With options for a collaboration with wikia.com

We should use the chance, to use the reality, which was created by the press, as it seems to be needed.

Would it be possible to run yacy.net  on each wikipedia server (or other) and get the search box into the wikipedia left manue (at the bottom) )

The wikiepdia yacy server then could index the wikiepdia server.
So please someone can forward this mail to the tech-admin list of the wikiservers? Thanks

Kind regards Tom