[Foundation-l] wiki search & wikimedia foundation collaboration with Limewire and Yacy ?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 13:38:34 UTC 2006

Hoi,
If there is one thing that is relevant, then it is that Peer to Peer
technology can be used for more than just copying material from one
computer to another. The faulty argument used by the proprietary content
industry is that because of sharing in a peer to peer network you must
be a criminal. This is utter rubbish. Consequently this is exactly one
of the projects were Open Source and Open Content projects need to work
together because it will show that a complete technology is unjustly
stigmatised.

When this technology is used in a way that is in line with the way the
WMF treats copyright, we will be able to create an infrastructure where
both organisations and communities will work together. I do applaud it
when it can be a true cooperation, a cooperation where everybody
collaborates for their own reasons and create something that everybody
will be happy with.

Thanks,
   GerardM