[Foundation-l] wiki search & wikimedia foundation collaboration with Limewire and Yacy ?

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 12:29:21 UTC 2006

On 30/12/06, thomasasta at gmx.net <thomasasta at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Jim, hello Sam,
>
> you search for coders to get wiki-search out.
> There are already a lot of coders in the list
> http://search.wikia.com/wiki/search:Developers
>
> What do you think about a collaboration with limewire ?
>
> http://www.limewire.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3090&posted=1#post3090
>
> Integrate yacy in limewire and built up a colaboration with yacy, limewire and messenger cspace (ported to java) for wikia and wikimedia foundation.
>
> Both are java.
> Kind regards tom.

Preliminary: All respects to Limewire and the hard work that's been
put into the development of the software. Also, I'm not making
judgement on what the technologies behind Limewire enable end-users to
do (FWIW, I am certainly *not* siding with the RIAA!).

Someone on these mailing lists a couple of days ago wrote that
Wikimedia was the only Web 2.0 venture that really took copyright
seriously. Being the leading project in the free-content movement,
taking copyright seriously is necessary to furthering our cause and
our goals. I do not think it would help us to collaborate with
projects which are seen by some (perhaps many) to be legally shady
when it comes to copyright. Whether or not we agree with the notion
that technology which enables copyright violation should be
accountable for any copyright violation that occurs using the
technology, we need to respect the law and need to appear
above-the-board.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)