[Foundation-l] Attempt at a compromise (Re: Advertising)

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 04:41:00 UTC 2006

On 30/12/06, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the "Foundation is evil" calls would be quelled a little bit by some
> examples of donation ideas that were rejected. After all, we've only heard
> about the donations that were accepted, so we can't measure them against
> anything else.

Dozens and dozens of people have been engaged in this discussion, not
one of them said that the "Foundation is evil". As far as I can
remember, not one of them implied that the "Foundation is evil". What
people have been questioning is the Foundation's methods in a healthy,
responsive manner.

Despite my objections to the placement of the name and logo in the
sitenotice, may I take this opportunity to make it clear that I do
_not_ think the Foundation is evil. I also want to make it clear that
I very much appreciate the hard work put in by all members of the
board. I understand their job is difficult--balancing the realities of
running a top 10 website with the ideology of the Wikimedia
community--and their performance is close to perfect.

Your reduction of the debate to "Foundation is evil" vs. "Foundation
is perfect" isn't productive or helpful to either side. We all
ultimately want and aim for pretty much the same thing, and these aims
will only be achieved if we continue to discuss and debate in an open,
friendly way.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)