[Foundation-l] Attempt at a compromise (Re: Advertising)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 02:19:30 UTC 2006

On 30/12/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, but you need both. As I said earlier, donations almost always
> > follow a power law, like Alexa ratings or whatever. And you don't get
> > the first without the thank-yous, because they're used to them.

> So let's retrain them. Don't charitable entrepeneurs want to break the
> traditional paradigms?

Note that the first round of donations was matched by precisely the
sort of anonymous donor you describe.

But you know, I have no problem saying "thank you" quite loudly to
someone giving us tens of thousands of dollars - if it was someone we
would have a problem saying "thank you" quite loudly to, then we
wouldn't accept it. And I understand Danny has said "no thanks" to
more than a few bad ideas that might have netted us substantial cash.

- d.