[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 21:52:26 UTC 2006

Anthony schreef:
> On 12/28/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/28/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>
>>> (Yes, that was sarcasm.  A distributed Wikipedia could be done, and it
>>> could be done for less than 1.5 million.  That's my belief and I'm
>>> sticking with it.  Just because something hasn't been done before
>>> doesn't make it impossible.)
>>>
>> Then don't let those who say it can't be done stop you from doing it.
>>

> As I've said, it *will* happen.  The forks *will* come, and one of
> them *will* pick up on the idea.  Why don't *I* do it now, today?
> Well, I don't have anywhere *near* 1.5 million, for starters.  I also
> don't have those all important wikipedia domain names.
>

>> Show us the code.
>>

> If you're really interested in seeing this achieved, contact me off
> list.  This list isn't really the place to discuss the details,
> especially as the management of the foundation isn't interested.

Hoi,
To help all those that believe like Thomas, I can testify that the
Wikimedia Foundation is interested in other ways of providing content.
This does include providing information using peer to peer
functionality. To me this is very much a long shot. But long shots can
become reality the right people are behind them. I have faith in this
project, I am not really involved. With P2P we may not need the bigger
number of servers as we increasingly do. It is exactly this reason why
the WMF is interested .. :)

Thanks,
     GerardM