[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:50:24 UTC 2006

Hi!

> Wikimedia servers would still have to do a
> tiny bit of work, basically sign stuff and boostrap the peer lists.
> It could be built, and for a lot less than 1.5 million.

Does anyone talking here about distributed mediawiki has ever
realized what tasks are being worked on in our application cluster?
Could you please stop speaking bullshit, packed as a "clever stuff",
and using foundation-l audience to support you in any way?

Serving a wiki isn't hosting an .iso file, where of course, bandwidth
is main cost, and it is easy to offload. ISO files don't change,
people don't care about how fast they start getting ISO file, because
the transfer is long enough to forget all startup costs.
Serving a wiki isn't looking for aliens. If someone turns off the
computer, or DSL will go down, aliens won't disappear, now the
request will. Nobody really cares about individual packet containing
alien information, because it is sent to multiple nodes. Some will
reply, some won't.
Serving a wiki isn't serving a personal website. It is not single
person editing, there's great deal of conflict resolution, possible
race conditions, versioning and metadata information.
Serving a wiki isn't serving a conventional media website, because it
is far more organic in terms of load pattern evolution, or accidental
surges. Content formats also come bottom->up, requiring agile
development of systems.
Serving a wiki means delivering user contributed content thousands
collaborated on in few tens of milliseconds. We do succeed this
mission and every time we increased responsiveness of the site, we
had more users coming.

Please, if you ever again suggest building some distributed
wikipedia at home, please please please, do some research. Sure you may
look cool and trendy, but... that doesn't help with our goals.

There're no big systems even little bit similar to wikipedia, that
are distributed. If you point me to any, I'd gladly review their
ideas. Now there are none.

BR,
--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]