[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 18:16:03 UTC 2006

Please, no one is dissing editors, especially of non-WP projects.  We are,
however, talking about the large numbers which must be of concern to WMF.
That means traffic, and that means money.

Based on the financial reality of needing to raise more money, for hardware,
software, bandwidth and staffing (in broad strokes), what is the solution to
question of financial support?  Dig deeper?  Blame the community of editors
(as opposed to readers) for not donating enough?  Get the starving college
kid to give $3 instead of $2?

We are a top 10 website running as a non-profit.  That itself is
extraordinary.  Everyone else is for profit.  We are unique.

The independence Danny spoke of is real - we are not beholden to any vendor
or company.  We easily could be, if we chose.  To the contrary of the
"patronizing" comment, the data show - unequivocally - that the area for WMF
to focus to leverage amount per donor and total revenue is on donations
greater than $50 USD and up.  We will have a full breakdown of the
statistics later, but for now, some figures clumped by rough levels of
donation:

Donations to WMF from 12/15/06 to 12/28/06:

2 people have given very large gifts ($25,000 and our anonymous matching
donor)
49 people have given 500-10,000 USD ($67,594)
739 people have given 100 - 499 USD ($96,222)
1184 people have given 50-99 USD ($68,728)
2346 people have given 25-49 USD ($70,106)
5340 people have given 10-24 USD ($77,189)
4204 people have given 1-9 USD ($19,059)
891 people have given less than 1 USD ($481)

If one day of corporate matching brings us on the order of $60,000 per
company, that is an enormous advantage over asking the community for more.
Don't you think?  If we have a $100,000 per month bandwidth bill later in
2007, it will still need to be paid.  I will assume you would rather the
projects stay online than die.  If we buy another 300 servers, where should
the money come from?  It seems clear that the reality here is beyond some
level of understanding with at least a portion of the  people who read this
list.

In short - we need the money.  The community is who benefits.