[Foundation-l] Contributors vs Authors

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 02:32:43 UTC 2006

On en.wikibooks we are having some problems instituting an ownership policy
(a local equivalent of [[WP:OWN]]). Some of the common arguments we are
receiving are:
1. There is a qualitative distinction between "authors" and "contributors".
Not all contributors can be listed as authors of a particular book
(especially if the book is printed and distributed).
2. The history pages represent a "log", and do not constitute legal
attribution
3. "Contributors" do not have the legal rights that "authors" do.
None of us at en.wikibooks are lawyers, and frankly we don't know how to
address these objections, or where to find the correct answers. Also,
because books are distributed projects (spread across multiple pages), it is
not uncommon on wikibooks for a book to have a list of authors somewhere.
Are such lists appropriate?

Any help in these questions would be much appreciated. --Andrew Whitworth