[Foundation-l] Fwd: wikipedia: "wikiasaria" the p2p way, here: participation of the foundation in the new wiki project (cspace and yacy based)

"Thomas Müller" thomasasta at gmx.net
Mon Dec 25 19:53:27 UTC 2006

Hi Brad Patrick, Mailinglist
and local wikimedia/foundation responsibles.

Jim wants to create a search engine for the wiki community as strong as google. To fight central authorized search engines like google and to support the community help of searches in the internet

As it is good to have a wiki-relation, I sent the attached idea as well to you.

I read, that wiki.com is financially independent from the wikifoundation. And that the new search-engine wikisari or wikiAsariA, dunno, is with the purpose of earning money with ads in cooperation of amazon.

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=wikisari&meta=
(yesterday google had only 5 results, today 238)
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=wikisaria&meta=
(today 307 results)

Ok, maybe a parallel model or integrated model with the wiki-enterprise is possible in collaboration woith wikimedia foundation.

The idea is, to use the p2p indexing search engine yacy (see link below). (speek blacky like jacky Onasis)

Wiki and Amazon create some big servers and get a central webadress. Users can search the database (as a p2p node) from that central website and get advertisements. This central website is in cooperation with amazon and as well the amazon website gets a search box.

Then.. as yacy search engine is a p2p engine, we need a lot of nodes, running yacy.
To be strong as google we need at elast 20.000 peers running yacy. If there is less bandwith dedicated, we need maybe 50.000 users every minute online.

The idea is now (already posted with a draft in the yacy forum) to combine yacy with an instant messenger, users always run, Yacy could be stick to the messenger as a deamon and doing the indexing job of websites.

The bandwith for that could be adjusted with a slider in the Instant Messenger friendslist.

As the friendslist CSpace could be used.  http://cspace.in

CSpace is an open Source and SERVERLESS Buddylist (so no icq aol msn yahoo or google talk, which are all serverbased). Cspace is fully decentral using a dht kademlia lookup for the buddies online in a p2p style.

If you stick both together, yacy and cspace, then users run it all the time and yacy could index and the buddylist coud offer as well a search box to run searches decentral on every computer direct accessing the p2p yacy network.

Many users will use the buddylist cspace then from wikipedia and support this way the backgroud daemon yacy indexing websites.

As well users then can acess the search engine using the wikiasaria homepage of amazon and wiki.com in a browser.

Furthermore we can make of the new application (yacy + cspace) an toolabr for firefox, thunderbird and songbirdnest.com

then we have the buddylist integrated and teh yacy background is doing website indexing in all the buddies an performing a big p2p net.

Wikiasarias Idea is to add manual page ranking to the website index. This is already coded in yacy and a browser toolbar exists as well.

We just need to distribute yay as a daemon of a budylist / Cspace and bring it into the community or into the branding of Wikimedia.

Yacy is written in java, CSpace in Python, but a common gui or a XUL-Toolbar for firefox should be no problem.

As both code branches exist, we have less money to take to get both together and bring the p2p net for buddies and website indexing out.

If anyone needs futher ideas, write a feedback.

Thanks for considering a plan, how to decentralize the search engines and websiteindex, in the wikimedia foundation baord,

As I see, more then 300.000 Dollars are already donated, maybe a coding team can bring both applications into one gui and wiki can distribute it, if wiki.com or wikiasaria then supports this with a central wesite search (as a big serverfarm-node of the p2p network yacy) this would be a perfect cooperation.

Thanks a lot

tom

PS1: Maybe you know the german-french search engine QUAERO project, which goal was to fight the majority of google.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaero
This project is broken and not done. So the need to have a community build search engine still exists.

PS2: Besides now: Please forward this mail to the techical administrator lists of wikipedia, then each wiki server can set up a yacy node already today and display as well yacy searche ngine results, as well the node can index the wikimedia site of the individual country and get the external links as well, as they are already the manual edited best links for each wiki-article. Would be perfect, to see in each wikipedia the yacy saerch window as well to have an external search option as well. maybe the donated money could be used to have some big yacy servers as well.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------