[Foundation-l] On hard-to-read usernames

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 20:55:15 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> This could be coupled with an option to declare a home wiki somewhere (e.g.
> so Anthere can put her home wiki as [[:foundation:]] if she desires), but
> that could be optional. The reason I say it would be a good idea is that the
> data is going to be collected anyways during the migration, and instead of
> it being thrown out after SUL work is done, it could be put into some use by
> perhaps adding a line of code or two. ;)

How about we just combine ideas here.. Allow the preferred name field
to also have a user specified internal link to any of our projects?
Same data could be made part of the default signature.

* Titoxd ([[:commons:User:Titoxd|John Doe]] | Talk | contribs | block)
m (reverted edits by Titoxd
(talk) to last version by Brion VIBBER)

(obviously clickable and not wikitext)

The problem with this is that would allow for some sneaky behavior
that we'd have to deal with. (i.e. people claiming to be someone that
they are not)  So an alternative would be to make the username field
clickable, and have a user field that indicates which wiki the link
will take them to... If we're going to have a join against the user
table to obtain a prefered name, it would be easy enough to grab a
homewiki id to use for the userlink. ...

Although, do we really want userlinks randomly wisking you off to another wiki?