[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 24 06:19:31 UTC 2006

Neil Harris wrote:

> If we can make it as simple as that (and acknowledge that the automatic
>
>transliteration will often be very, very,  bad) we could possibly make
>this work, with the option to change your nick to something else later.
>
>Perhaps language -> IPA -> language might be a good way of helping the m
>x n problem for this, in which case we could use language <-> IPA tables
>to bootstrap this.
>
>Would this be a good idea, or would it be linguistic nonsense?

Probably linguistic nonsense.  Although it serves a very useful purpose
in conveying pronunciations, anly a limited community interested in
linguistics will be familiar with it.  For everybody else (which to be
fair must include the English speakers) it amounts to attaining equality
by putting everything into a common language which all will equally not
understand. :-)

Ec