[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:56:02 UTC 2006

[oops, resend]

On 23/12/06, Gary Kirk <gary.kirk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Look in Special:Preferences, it is displayed on the first tab. But I
> have no idea what, if anything, it is used for.

Interesting. Well, it shouldn't be hard to make it unique across the
entire project - prepend it with "en-wp-" or "fr-wikt-" or "commons-"
or "ja-ws-", arrange for it to be generally visible somehow, and then
we have a ready-prepared unique "barcode" identifier for people to use
in whatever manner they find appropriate.

I'm not sold such a use is needed, but making those numbers visible to
the user shouldn't be an impossible patch for anyone who feels
inclined, and your infrastructure is there and waiting for you.

(And, even without this modification, we *will* all get unique
cross-project identifiers just as soon as SUL goes live, so...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk