[Foundation-l] Throwing some data onto the flamefest fire (was: English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 11:21:50 UTC 2006

On 23/12/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we need to find a "middle road," if at all possible. System
> transliteration seems to be the only such proposal -- if anybody else has
> got any ideas, now's the time.

Which is more useful on a given wiki:

a) System transliteration into the script(s) of that wiki (which will
apparently lead to tremendous offence to people not even using the
wiki);
b) Optionally append a user-ID number to the non-local script name,
and have this user-ID work for blocks, log-checking, etc. (will
apparently offend people who want to be "????????" rather than a
number)
c) Disallow both the above and require the usernames to be displayed
in a script unreadable to the native speakers on that wiki (which will
lead to near-automatic blocking as happens now, because you KNOW the
vandals will exploit it big time)

- d.