[Foundation-l] To all non latin wikis please start blocking latin wiki accounts

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 01:37:06 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologise for the audacious use of those letters. Do you know where I can
> find a better way to get words transliterated?

Don't appologise, you didn't try to implement it on our projects :)

Hm. In Serbian and Macedonian we are using strictly transcriptions,
not transliterations. So, it should be something like
English->IPA->Serbian/Macedonian. Howerver, the process is not so
simple and in some cases we are using combinied transcription and
transliteration, as well as somtimes historic names. The best examples
are name Angela and surname Wales -- for both of them we are using
historical names (not transcription Ејнџела but historical name
Анђела; not transcription Вејлз, but historical name for the country
Walest -- Велс). However, engine is possible.

Slovenian and Latvian are also strictly alphabetic-phonetic and even
those languages are written in Latin script, people may demand
transcription, not transliteration.

So, keep in mind that asking for transcriptions in English means
opening Pandora's box on other projects.