[Foundation-l] To all non latin wikis please start blocking latin wiki accounts

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 22:45:19 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> After Gregory's action I want to ask all wiki's who use non-latin
> languages as their standard to start blocking all latin character user
> accounts and demand they use accountnames in your script, especially
> those of en.wikipedians actively supporting this en: policy.
>
> Maybe this way they will understand on en: that there action is
> extremely biased and very very bad as they seem to insist to keep
> blocking good users like admins from other wiki's simply because people
> want to use their REAL NAME.
>
> Start with Gregory's account btw.

So long as they'll help me transliterate my name into acceptable
scripts, I have no complaints.

... although my next action will be to file a enhancement request to
support a visible name which differs from the login name so that I
don't have to remember hundreds of account names. Ideally both names
would be visable in edit histories and such, which would also be
useful for people who have a pseudonym for uniqueness issues but which
would rather use their real-name.

All that said, I think your approach to this is unfortunate and
needlessly hostile.