[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 14:57:02 UTC 2006

--- Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Many posts]

You want people to acknowlede that en.WP is having
problems.  I don't see anyone disputing that the en.WP
policy makes thing eaisier for vandal-fighters.  I do
see that not everyone agrees that not being able to
remember a username is a significant problem.  Other
significant problems that existed when the en.WP began
this policy have been since   Personally, I do not see
why it such a hardship for the vandal-fighters to
simply check edits instead of mentally whitelisting
non-latin editors.  Yes it will be a little more time
consuming, but the majority of edits will still be
from latin usernames that are more memorable.  I do
not see that the memorable issue is a significant
problem nor that it is actually limited to non-latin
usernames.

However that does not mean I do not encourage to find
a way to make vandal-fighting easier that is
compatible with SUL.  I am glsd you wish to modify the
policy, I was encouraging a change there back in
October.  However there are people who wish to keep
the policy as is, you can see this at the talk page to
the policy.  I hope you are right that most of en.WP
sees that the policy is confilcting with SUL.  What
modifications would you like to see to the policy?

Birgitte SB