[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 14:29:39 UTC 2006

On 22/12/06, Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> So now, in order to contribute helpfully to vandal-fighting (for
> instance) in a Wikipedia in someone's own language, they have to
> install all world fonts.  Yes.  That will really encourage people to
> join up.

Better than that - they have to be comfortable with reading all
scripts used anywhere in Wikimedia, according to Gerard's plan.

Wikipedia: The encyclopedia any linguist who's installed every script
available can edit!

> Don't we try to aim at a low barrier for entry?

I predict no-one advocating all admins learn and become comfortable
with all scripts will answer this question.

- d.