[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:52:28 UTC 2006

geni schreef:
> On 12/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is your choice not to install fonts. So this is self inflicted
>> damage. Something you punish others for.
>>

> I could make wikipedia pretty much un-useable in IE (and partly
> firefox) your choice not to run opera.

When you do this you will get banned. Certainly if you have developer
rights, it will be the end of it. A steward lost his stewardship because
he threatened to do things.

>> With SUL you can check out who and what they are within WMF. They will
>> not only have but also have en.wikipedia history. So in stead of not
>> knowing who they are you will find that they have extended history in
>> other projects.
>>

> In a small number of cases

With SUL people will be asked to concentrate all the users under one
user. Effectively it will mean that the number of people is likely to grow.

>> So you will have gained a way of identifying your
>> vandals in stead of lost a way of identifying them.
>>

> How do I tell a vandle from a newbie from Ja.wikipeida?

The same way you can identify a newbie on en.wikipedia; you look at the
user contributions. NB it is vandal and not vandle.

Thanks,
    GerardM