[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 03:01:25 UTC 2006

--- geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/22/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > We would have a better edge on vandalism if we
> > required confirmed email adresses before allowing
> > user to edit.  But the goal of Wikipedia is not
> > prevent vandalism at all costs.  I really don't
> > understand the particular problem with non-latin
> > vandals.  More inforamation is always better but
> why
> > is this information needed for vandal-fighting?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Listusers type
> in various swear
> wods to start searches.

> > have never had to type in any username to make a
> > block.  Everything is dome by clicking through
> links.
> > Click on  a diff to confirm vandalism, click on
> block
> > to block the user, click on contribs to cleanup
> the
> > mess.  For a major vandal; paste the link to the
> > contribs on IRC to solict help.  Whether the
> username
> > is english, bosian, or ????; I am not sure how it
> > would make a difference.
>
> Because I can't glance at recent changes and tell
> whcih of the half
> dozen ????? are problem users.
>
> >  What do vandal fighters as
> > en.WP do differently than that makes non-latin
> > usernames a significant problem?
> >

> Some of our vandles have trademarks. It is also very
> hard to come up
> with large numbers of legit sounding names in a
> short timeframe. The
> result is that mayn vandles resort to nonsense
> names. If they can hide
> that by useing japanses characters I have lost a way
> of picking them
> up.
>

> --
> geni

You are dragging this away from my original question.
A refresh of where this converstion came from

http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/012499.html

Are non-latin usernames a problem for fighting
high-calibre vandals who use sleeper sockpuppet
accounts?  This has been stated as a concern and I do
not see where latin/non-latin has any significance.

Birgitte SB