[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 01:01:34 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> No other WMF project has as many resources as the English language
> Wikipedia does. No other project gets as much attention from the
> developers. No other project does as well as a result. No other project
> can therefore withstand the constant abuse from vandals as successfully.

Resources will only get you so far. If there is a weapon we can use
you cannot expect us to put it down.

> However, this does not mean that might is right.

Oh really?

>It also does not mean
> that arguments used that are in opposition to some of its policies can
> be ignored as is currently happening.

Not being ignored. Sure you are ignoreing the counter arguments but
that is your problem.

>There are many things I do not
> care about. Having people decently treated is one. With the improvements
> that have happened like the prevention of mixed script user names and
> the upcoming the SUL the arguments for the practice of blocking non
> Latin users on sight have been largely removed.

Not at all.  We will continue to take whatever steps are required to
protect our wikipedia.

How much page move vandalism have you delt with? Template vandalism?
Attacks from open proxies? bot attacks?

--
geni