[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Dec 21 22:00:25 UTC 2006

You know, the solution to this is so easy. File systems have dealt with
multiple namespaces for a long time. Here's how you do this
(are you reading this Brion). I deal with this crap in File System
design all the time and the NetWare file system had to solve this
problem with namespaces.

1. When a user is created, you create a unique NUMBER (like a file
directory number) and associate it with a NAME from the name space in
which it was created.
2. The database for the various languages (as, nv, chr, en, nl, etc.)
all store this number and associate it with NAMESPACES stored somewhere
in the database. If someone created an English name, then you store the
name in the EN database along with the number. If someone logs into
another language wiki and there is no text name for that namespace, your
REFERENCE the default name.
3. When someone creates a new name on another wiki they always have THE
SAME DIRECTORY NUMBER or USER NUMBER and then you associate this name as
an ALIAS.

Easy to implement and easy to track. USER NUMBERS should be tied to IP
ADDRESSES and IP ADDRESS RANGES with the autoblock detection in
MediaWiki, but instead of blocking, USE IT TO RESOLVE THEIR DEFAULT NAME.

Jeff