[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 17:33:12 UTC 2006

en.WP's username policy is incompatible with SUL.
This is a problem.  We have heard from brion that the
implementation of SUL is not negotiable.  We have
heard from several en.WP editors that they are not
willing to give up the non-Latin username blocks
without further development work to mitigate the
issue.  Considering that the brion (the developer) is
not negotiating, I find the arguments about exactly
which technical developments en.WP would demand in
order for a policy change strange.

This appears to be heading to a showdown.  I think
*that* is the worse than blocking ru.WP admins and
non-latin vandals going to town at en.WP together.  I
would like to hear from anyone who does not strongly
disagree with one of the two polar positions that have
restated many times.

Are there any en.WP editors who believe blocking users
on sight based on their font is not a useful enough
process to be worth breaking SUL for other editors?

Is there anyone outside of en.WP who believes that SUL
is not a useful enough process to be worth creating
bad blood between wikis?

Birgitte SB