[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 17:16:38 UTC 2006

--- Neil Harris <usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Nicholas Moreau wrote:
> > What about setting things up so that to create a
> SUL username with say,
> > Tegulu characters, you *must* register at TE, no
> other language's
> > registration form will accept it. That will
> significantly cut down on vanity
> > and vandal usage of the such characters.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> > Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:50:33 -0500
> > From: Stephanie Erin Daugherty
> <stephanie at sosdg.org>
> >
> > This is especially true when abusive users have
> deliberately taken advantage
> > of this fact in order to make the lives of
> administrators and of other
> > Wikipedians as difficult as possible, and it's
> also true for those handful
> > of users that will mix character sets to "look
> cool" at the inconvenience of
> > others.
> >

> Stephanie,
>
> Character set mixing within usernames is no longer
> allowed, at least on
> en: -- that is to say, each username must contain
> characters from only a
> single writing system, in order to prevent
> cross-script homograph
> attacks, and cannot contain any characters that are
> not associated with
> a human natural writing system (such as math
> characters, symbols, line
> art characters, and so on...)
>
> When SUL is rolled out, this restriction will need
> to be applied to all
> wikis.
>
> I like Nick's idea of only being able to register
> name at a wiki that
> has the script of that name in common use: this
> would mean that
> registering abusive nicknames in wikis that do not
> understand a
> particular script will easily be caught, and aid the
> socialization of
> new users into the appropriate communities.
>
> -- Neil

I can see two ways where this will not be possible.

*There is only a shared user creation log; local logs
no longer exists.

*Local logs exist but do not distinguish from new
users to the shared database and existing database
users who have just edited for the first time locally.

Is there any defintive information yet on how the user
creation log will work after SUL?

Birgitte SB