[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Michael Noda michael.noda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:24:45 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Neil Harris <usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > The notion that the numbers used in the Latin script are universal is
> > also a fallacy.
> > Thanks,
> >     GerardM
> >

> Yes, but it's quite a good approximation to reality. For example, the
> front pages of ar:, am:,he:, ru:, el:, th: and zh: are clear evidence
> that use of ASCII Hindu-Arabic numerals is widespread in common
> practice, even in cultures with their own distinct historic numeral
> systems.
>
> And if we really wanted to, we can also represent the same set of
> decimal digits in other writing systems, for example Devanagari
> numerals, since we already have the localization code to do this ready
> to go.
>
> I like Stephanie's suggestion of User:?????? <#2352562> as a display
> format: we could quite easily arrange that User:#2352562 would be an
> alias for User:?????? throughout the system, with ?????? remaining that
> user's true name everywhere.
>
> Thus, for the user "Examplename", User:Examplename would be their user
> page on every wiki, with User_talk:Examplename being their discussion
> page, and so on... but, for wikis where the script used in their name is
> not one of the native scripts for that wiki,
>
>     [[User:Examplename|Examplename]] <[[User:Examplename|#425256]]>
>
> would appear in every context where the machine-generated text
>
>    [[User:Examplename|Examplename]]
>
> would have appeared before, and "#425256" (or its equivalent with the
> decimal numerals in any other script) would also be usable in the
> software as a synonym for their real-name throughout the SUL universe.
> That is to say:
>
> * User:#425256 would be a redirect to User:Examplename on every wiki.
> * Blocking User:#425265 would have the effect of blocking User:Examplename
> * Special:Contributions/#425265 would have the same result as
> Special:Contributions/Examplename (and would display "User contributions
> for [[User:Examplename]]" at the top on home-script wikis, and "User
> contributions for [[User:Examplename]] <[[User:#425256|#425256]]>" at
> the top on others...
>
> Note that the numeric tags would only appear on ''system-generated''
> text: no user would ever be required to use their alternative numeric
> tag in any human context (unless they wanted to, of course).
>
> Net effect:
>
> * for most practical purposes, no visible change on any wiki, except in
> the immediate context of a username with "foreign-script" characters
> * no user will need to rename any of their accounts
> * no user will need to create any nicknames if they don't want to
> * most users won't even notice the change, since 99% of all editors tend
> to have same-script names
> * only formerly-unreadable "foreign script" names will appear with
> numeric tags on any given wiki, yet
> [...]

I think this can be a fair and readily implementable system, both
technically and socially.  It solves the problem en.wiki was
addressing (clumsily) with the username policy, and is fully
compatible with SUL.  It displays no bias for or against any
particular character set.  In other words, I now expect that the SUL
implementation team will account for this proposal, or something very
much like it, when SUL goes live.  If they're not considering it now,
I for one think they should.  (Although I like the earlier suggestion
of salting the account IDs to avoid silly status games over longevity
:-)  )

I'd just like to express my sadness at the lack of co-operative spirit
and foresight shown by some defenders of the en.wiki username policy,
and the lack of assumption of good faith all around.  While I
personally dislike the policy for its heavyhandedness, it's clear that
there is a problem that it addresses, and does so in one of the very
few ways available *in the current technical environment.*  What my
fellow en.wikipedians are failing to deal with properly is that the
technical environment is about to change, soon and inevitably.  SUL is
not going to just go away, because it's too useful to too many people.
 Plans need to be made now to deal with the major sociotechnical
changes that will accompany SUL's introduction.  One of those changes
must be a revision of the en.wiki username policy.  That will come
about through discussion and (cross-)community consensus, so flinging
what amount to accusations of bad faith around, right off the bat, is
less than helpful, to put it mildly.  We need to shed more light and
less heat on this subject, as soon as we can.  I hope we can come
together, as a community of communities, and rise to the challenge.

-Michael Noda