[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 12:58:51 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 21/12/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When you get ?????? it makes sense to install more fonts. The use of IPA
>> is problematic because it is often done incorrectly and most people have
>> not had training to do IPA correctly. It takes a lot of training to do
>> this correctly. My name for instance is notoriously difficult to
>> pronounce for people who are not Dutch while even a name like "Bob"
>> should be written in many ways when you consider in how many ways it is
>> pronounced.
>>

> Indeed. But we're not going to be able to make it a requirement of
> editing en:wp that users install more fonts on their (arguably broken)
> default-install Windows box.
>

> - d.

And, as I keep on saying, the addition of the correct fonts to the
user's browser does not magically grant the ability to read or even
recognize characters in scripts that a reader is unused to. ("His name?
It's three little boxes, and in the boxes there are a lot of little
straight lines, apart from the ones that are like little hooks or
squares. In the leftmost box, there's a bit of a gap at the bottom left,
and then there's a sort of hooky bit hanging out at the right of the
middle box, which has a few less lines, and then...")

-- Neil